Saturday, May 19, 2012

I love my job!

I like having fun projects to work on each week, and I am very lucky to have a job which I actually enjoy doing. Each and every week, I am challenged with new tasks and this week was particularly enjoyable with a James Bond-themed cake and a 3 tier Jungle Safari Cake.


The first cake, the James Bond one, was based on the movie "Diamonds are Forever", and the recipient of the cake, loves her bling, loves to be glamourous, and of course, loves her diamonds! The idea mostly came from her daughter, who already had a clear idea of what she wanted the cake to look like. I offered my suggestions to make it all come together as a birthday cake, to suit. 


That's my job. I need to create cakes to suit the theme and occasion, and the personality of the individual must really come through in the final design. For wedding cakes, that's a whole different ball game all together, as there's so much to consider. There's things like flowers, bridesmaids, invitations, number of persons, how large the function room will be, budget, colours, and so forth. 

On some occasions, great ideas on paper, need not necessarily work as well on cakes. This is where I need to step in and alter the design to suit the final cake on the day itself. It could be something as small as the placement of the flower on a tier, or as drastic as removing certain elements and replacing them with other items. Whatever it may be, all my cakes are sent out with my 100% satisfaction guarantee. I need to be 100% happy with the cake, before it leaves my work studio.

The James Bond cake did run the risk of looking like a wedding cake, with the diamonds and brooch. But once you change the shape of the classic 2 tier wedding cake, into a double stacked barrel cake - everything changes. Add a sexy James Bond figurine on the top, and voila, it's changed again.

Modelled after the infamous "Jessica Rabbit" from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. The cleavage on the dress had tiny Swarovski crystals to accentuate the neckline. And by tiny, I mean T.I.N.Y. And there were also more crystals around her neck. The Swarovski crystals really added some serious sparkle under the light.

I lustred the entire cake in gold to give it an extra touch of glam.
The other cake I had to do was a 3 tiered, Animal-themed cake for a lucky girl, turning 1. The client ordered it for her Goddaughter as her birthday gift, and as a housewarming gift as well, for her parent's new place. She sent me a photo to replicate but of course, I had my own take on it. 

I love doing cute, fun cakes, and this cake was definitely a pleasure to do from start to finish. More over, it was 3 tiers, so I love it when a client wants a big cake for a children's cake. 

The cake topper was a white bunny rabbit, symbolising her year of birth, which was obviously in the year of the Rabbit. And I added cute little ladybugs around the cake, with trails following behind them. So so cute! And so much fun! LOL! I know, I've said that before.

The other animals were mainly 2D characters, which means I could only finish them on the cake itself. So they were hand moulded once the cake was put together, and then stuck onto the cake immediately. 

Side View


Top view
 I'd love to recreate this cake again - any takers?





2 comments:

  1. Oh wowww!!u make a fabulous cake!complicated design yet very neat!how d I order from u?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi @dialicious! Thank you for your lovely comment. I'm on FB, do please check out my page there www.facebook.com/msshortcakes or alternatively visit my website www.miss-shortcakes.com where you can email me direct or call me. Jessica

    ReplyDelete